Established May 20, 1886

Main Page

History -|- Wolfchild I & II -|- Links

Mdewakanton Sioux Indians of Minnesota

Mississippi Sioux Judgment Fund for
Mdewakanton and Wahpakoota Lineal Descendants

First Saturday -|- Rocque Roundtable -|- Other Perspectives


Mdewakanton and Wahpakoota Lineal Descendants
Who Received a Per Capita Check in 1981

There is still no definite date when the final payment checks will be mailed out to those who have kept their mailing address up-to-date.

Contrary to current rumors regarding the mailing date, the amount of the check and future checks; this is a FINAL PAYMENT and it will be in the amount of $792.00 along with a letter explaining the finality of this judgment fund.

Information received today from the Branch of Tribal Government Services, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Great Plains Office regarding deceased members on the payment list:

Payments for a deceased individual will be put into an estate account with the Office of Special Trustee (OST). When the account is probated, the payment will be disbursed to the determined heirs.

Determination of heirs is a legal process, and we cannot make the determination of whether or not you are an heir to the deceased or entitled to receive payment due to the death of someone on the payment list. You can however provide our office a certified death certificate for the individual on the payment list along with your contact information and we will provide that information to the Probate Office. We will maintain all information on the death of individuals whose names are on the payment list in our database.

Any information on the deaths of an individual received after May 8, 2017, will be forwarded to OST and that office will handle any possible future disbursements and probate matters, including possible payments to potential heirs.

Any specific questions on how OST handles probated issues can be directed to:

Sheela M. Farmer, Fiduciary Trust Officer
U.S. Department of the Interior
Office of the Special Trustee for American Indians
Rapid City Urban Office
801 Mt. Rushmore Rd, Ste 200, Rapid City, SD 57701
(605) 341-4028 phone
(605) 341-6467 fax

Mdewakanton and Wahpakoota Lineal Descendants

First of all, you had to receive a partial payment per-capita check
back in April 1981 (or at a later date because you had not yet reached age 18 in April 1981).

You received that check because you were determined to be a lineal descendant of the Mdewakanton-Wahpakoota band of the Mississippi Sioux Tribe. That check was a partial payment of your share from the distribution of the Mississippi Sioux Tribe Judgment Funds under the provisions of the Act of October 25, 1972 (86 Stat. 1168). This was an Act to provide for the disposition of funds appropriated to pay judgment in favor of the Mississippi Sioux Indians in Indian Claims Commission dockets numbered 142, 359, 360, 361, 362, and 363, and for other purposes.

That check was a "partial payment" because many of the denied enrollments back in 1973 were being appealed. The appeals have long been over and the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) is now in the process of completing the judgment fund distribution requirement of the Act of October 25, 1972.

If you have not moved or changed names since receiving that 1981 check, you do not need to do anything, you will receive your "final payment."

If you have moved and/or had a name change and kept the BIA Aberdeen Area Office informed of your change of address and change of name, you do not need to do anything, you will receive your "final payment."

Now, if you have moved or had a name change since 1981, you need to do something. You need to notify the BIA Aberdeen Area Office of your changes. In the case of name changes, you need to include a copy of your marriage and/or divorce documentation along with your update notification.

Your notification should be very simple, just address it "To Whom It May Concern" and simply say "This is to notify you that my mailing address has changed since April 1981 and is listed below:" Then list your current mailing address and add your eMail address. (You might get a quicker confirmation by eMail because it is a lot easier to reply that way.) If you have a change of name, include a copy of all legal documents that accomplished the name change; i.e., marriage certificate or divorce certificate, etc.

Send those changes of your status to the following address:

Bureau of Indian Affairs
Branch of Tribal Government Services
115 Fourth Avenue SE - Suite 400, MC-304
Aberdeen, SD 57401

Note: If you have not moved since April 1981 but are a little concerned that your name and address of long standing might get overlooked, then send them a letter, but change the wording to "This is to confirm to you that my mailing address is still the same as back in 1981 and is also listed below." Make sure to list your address!

- - - -

If you DID NOT receive a per-capita check back in April 1981 (or at a later date because you had not yet reached age 18 in April 1981), there is nothing for you to do. The deadline for filing an application for enrollment to share in the Mississippi Sioux Judgment Funds expired November 1, 1973.

If you DO NOT REMEMBER if you received a per-capita check back in April 1981 (or at a later date because you had not yet reached age 18 in April 1981), there is no quick list that I know of that you can go to in order to find out.

If you HAVE A DECEASED PARENT or GRANDPARENT who received a per-capita check back in April 1981, there might be something you can do. Please eMail me at mad-rocque@comcast.net and I'll explain. There are too many possible situations to list here. I will try to help you.

Send comments, questions or suggestions to:

admin @ MMDO1886.org
Minnesota Mdewakanton Dakota Oyate
P. O. Box 17115, St. Paul, MN 55117

© 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017